Thursday, September 28, 2006

Exit Mandrake, Enter Eisenheim

Well, I survived today's extreme temperature cycling. There are probably some of you who are not to happy to hear that, haha. Anyway, one of the volunteers today was a student from Ecuador. She was really cool, and so we got to chat a lot with her during our down time.

What did I learn from our conversations?

1) Doing a jungle tour some day would be awesome
2) I very much want to try Chicha at some point. Not sure I'm daring enough to try the one that is created in the traditional manner (where fermentation is augmented by human saliva), but you never know.
3) Sounds like the best time to party in just about any part of Latin America would be right around Carnaval festival.

Okay, so after a long day of being thrown into a temperature chamber, I grabbed dinner with QB at the So-Gong-Dong Tofu House in Milpitas, which was tasty as usual. It's not the absolute best place for Korean tofu, but it's decent enough.

Afterwards, we went to the movies, since I had a couple of free movie passes that I still had saved up from the company picnic a few months back. We watched The Illusionist starring Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, and Paul Giamatti. The story involves an illusionist named Eisenheim and a reunion with a long lost love of his.

I am stunned that this movie hasn't done better in the box office (I read that it has pulled in less than $30MM in total). I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. Some might say it's just a love story, but it was much, much more than that. There was a lot of movie to enjoy that had very little to do with love and all the mushy stuff that comes along with it.

So, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet... go watch it. It's highly likely that you'll enjoy it. Maybe not as much as I did, but you won't be disappointed. Now, when someone says 'illusionist' to me, I'll be thinking of Eisenheim and not Mandrake. What are you doing still reading this boring blog post? Go watch that movie... do it, do it now!

No comments:

Quantcast