Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bocce Ball Night

Yesterday, I attended a company sponsored night of Bocce Ball over at Campo di Bocce in Los Gatos. I had seen the game played before, but I had never tried myself. Heck, I didn't even know the rules.

The game is remotely similar to shuffleboard. The first team throws this little metal ball called a pallino. After that's done, each team tries to toss their balls as close as possible to the pallino. After all the balls are thrown (order of throws is dependent on which team is currently closest), the team with the closest ball, gets a point for every ball closer to the pallino than the opposing team's closest ball. And, you're allowed to purposely knock the balls around, which adds a bit of strategy to the game. Anyway, the pallino is surprisingly heavy, and the larger balls are surprisingly light.

The game was really a lot of fun. I totally want to go play again, but I think it's the type of game that is most fun when played with a large group. I guess I'm going to have to solicit my friends and get a game going. If you've never played it before, give it a try if you ever get the chance.

No comments:

Quantcast