Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Weekend Dinner

To continue the weekend story... on Saturday, Crestfallen flew into town for a business function on Monday. She flew in a couple days early to hang out. So, after the exhausting gold mining trip, I picked her up from the airport, and the three of us (QB, CF, and me) went to eat at the Left Bank at Santana Row.

I've never been there, and I had heard nice things about the place, so we gave it a try. I had made reservations for 9pm earlier in the week, but we ran a bit late, so I had them move the reservation half an hour later. We didn't have to wait all that long once we got there before we were seated.

We picked out a couple of appetizers to start off our meal. We went with Moules Florentine (steamed mussels) and Pithiviers, which was some pastry with meat in it. The Pithiviers was kind of like some appetizer-sized shepherd's pie. It was pretty good, I liked it. The mussels were also quite good, but I'm not that big on mussels, so both QB and CF ate most of it.

For our main course, I went with the day's special... a sturgeon dish. It turned out to be the most expensive of our three dishes, and unfortunately I liked it the least. I mean it wasn't bad at all, but it just wasn't as good as I had hoped. This might be due to the amazing sturgeon that I had over at Aqua back in November of last year. Anyway, I got to taste a bit of what the two ladies ordered.

Sturgeon



Crestfallen ordered Le Short Rib, which I thought was the best dish, and not surprisingly, it's the most popular dish at the restaurant. QB went with a ribeye steak (not on the sample menu in the link above). It, too, was very good.

Le Short Rib



Ribeye Steak



I'm lazy, so we're going straight to dessert. CF had the molten chocolate cake, and QB and I split the profiteroles with chocolate syrup. It was excellent. Even CF, who is not a big profiterole fan, thought it was good.

Desserts



The service was alright, but could have been better. My drink was always kept full, but we noticed that the server never came by to ask if our food was okay or not. Also, a pet peeve of mine is when you are given the check before you're done with dessert. Our server did just that, which was slightly irritating, but what can you do. Anyway, we inadvertently got our server in trouble, because we had just put our money in the booklet when his manager walked by and saw we were waiting around. He took one look at the bill to see who our server was and promptly went into the kitchen to find out guy. The server came back with the change and was looking pretty pissed off.

I thought that the prices were very reasonable for the quality of food that we got. The final bill not including gratuity was just under $100 for the three of us. And, considering we each ate a full meal, it wasn't too bad. I'd definitely go again, but I'll be trying something other than the fish. Maybe, I'll go with the dish that CF had.

No comments:

Quantcast