Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving was pretty good all things considered... I drove down to L.A. the morning of Thanksgiving Day, and made it down there by 2 in the afternoon. I met my nephew for the first time, and I think he's a real good looking baby. He was pretty chill most of the time, and every once in a while he would have this awesome pose where he looked like the Godfather, Don Corleone. Dinner was good too. I was pretty stuffed, but not so stuffed that I slipped into a food coma.

On Friday, I hung out with Rowr and Tiff. I'd never really met Tiff before... like, we went to the same school and all, but our paths never crossed. It was good to learn that she's got a healthy dose of funny in her (not to mention the alien baby in her). Anyway, the three of us were the comedy troupe for an un-boll weevil-ble night of comedy.

We started off at this ramen place in Gardena. I don't really have ramen noodles that often, but I'd say that this place was really good. It had this long Japanese name that I won't really ever remember, so I'll have to put it on this blog for future reference... Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata Ramen Restaurant. It's just good, so if ramen is your thing and you're in that neck of the woods, go get some.

After ramen and Asahi, we headed over to BevMo to get our nighttime drinks. We got a bottle of the Balvenie 12 y.o. Doublewood, some Vodka, and some strongish (~10%) Trappist Ale. And, I also got an early Christmas gift from Rowr... a Macallan gift box (woot!). Once we had all that we needed we dropped by the grocery to get some ice and other food for late night snacking. The three of us were really prepared... we figured that we would drink a bit then head off to some bar.

But, plans changed, and we ended up just staying in and indulging in what we had bought. There might have been some overindulgence, but it wasn't ridiculous or anything. We played a lot of random games including Chinese Poker, Indian Leg Wrestling, and some word games on that World Winner website. In Chinese Poker, Tiff and I both lost money to Rowr, who is apparently a natural at the game. But, I was the victor at the leg wrestling probably due to my size advantage.

We also made several random bets... one of the more interesting ones involved the number of hits Google would return when "Lobsters and Indians" was the search string. I set the over/under line at 315, and they both took the over. We were all surprised to learn that searching for that exact phrase resulted in ZERO hits. And, now we have an outstanding bet on how long it will be before Google picks up a page that Tiff created which contains that string.

Oh, and if you are not sober and want to watch something hilarious(?), check out Penelope: Princess of Pets. I am pretty sure that it's only really funny when you're a bit inebriated. It's pretty random, so don't say I didn't warn you.

The next day was kind of brutal... the hangover was not so fun. The three of us went and got some Korean food, and I tried the ice cold noodle dish for the first time. It was alright, but I think I'd enjoy it a ton more had I not been hungover and it was summer. After that, the three of us pretty much parted ways, and I went to hang out with my sister and Duke mostly playing Guitar Hero and DDR. Even after some practice, I can say with confidence that I still suck royally at both games.

Finally on Sunday, my sister, Duke, and I met up with one of my good friends from high school, Cam Man. We got some pho noodles over at Pho Thanh Lich in Little Saigon. Delicious. This was followed with drinks over at The District Lounge over in Newport Beach. After that, we grabbed some appetizers and another round over at the Yard House nearby.

And, that's pretty much it. I wish I had more time... there were more people I wanted to see, but that's almost always the case. It was a good weekend nonetheless.

No comments:

Quantcast