Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You Learn Something New Every Day

Some of you may already know this... especially those of you who love words and possess a strong vocabulary.

I have probably known what a job perk was since I was in elementary school. It's one of those extra benefits you get on top of your normal compensation. Today, I found out that perk was short for perquisite. I guess it's just one of those words that you never really had to look up and pretty much learned from context and others' usage.

Why it isn't spelled perq I don't know, but I suspect it is because perq just doesn't look like a proper English word. It's too bad too, Scrabble really could use another ends in a Q word. So, there you have it. I learned the word perquisite today. I wonder if most people out there are aware that perk comes from perquisite.

No comments:

Quantcast