Friday, September 14, 2007

Spider-Man

*** Edit 2: I measured the spider out in its dried state, and I also preserved it in a jar of alcohol. The spider's body is roughly 1 3/8" in length and 1/2" in width at its widest section. I estimate that fully extended (as in the picture below), it's diameter was around 4". Also, I think the spider was even bigger when it wasn't dessicated, so who knows. Seriously, it scared the crap out of me when I first saw it.

I'm still not over the fact that through my stupidity, I killed it. Ugh. I guess the basic necessities I provided weren't enough.

*** Edit: I'm sad. I got home, only to find that the spider had died. I left it water in a jar cap, and also provided it with shade. I suck.

I caught a big ass spider this morning. Initially, I thought it was a tarantula. But, after reading up as much as I can and looking at a ton of pictures, I am pretty sure that it is a Wolf Spider. I'm planning to keep it as a pet. From what I have read, it makes a good one.

I put it in a deep bucket with a little bit of water and a cardboard cutout (half of a checkbook box cover) to provide it shade. I'm hoping that it cannot escape the bucket before I get a proper terrarium set up for it.

Here are a couple pictures of my new pet spider. The first one is the spider where I found it. The second one is a close-up after I put it in the bucket.



No comments:

Quantcast