Monday, April 16, 2007

Video Game Workouts

There's been a lot of talk about how the Nintendo Wii has been a fitness positive for gamers worldwide. Although I've yet to play the Wii, the idea of video game exercise is a good one and I'm not sure why the larger fitness chains haven't tried to put a few machines in.

Over the weekend, I dropped by Dave and Buster's for some drinks and gaming entertainment. One of the games that I play from time to time is this motion detecting boxing game. It's not new technology or anything... I think the game's been around for a number of years (looking it up now shows it being released in 2001). It utilizes somewhat heavy gloves and pretty much requires you to throw punches, duck, and sway away from incoming punches.

Even after a few brief minutes of intense activity, I am really exhausted. This has a lot to do with me not being in great shape despite hitting the gym a couple times a week. But, anyway, if my probably-soon-to-file-for-bankruptcy gym, Bally Total Fitness (BFT), were to install a few of these game machines, I think that I'd definitely go more often, and maybe end up less out of shape.

So, I look up the price for the game, and it's goes for about $3500 used (but, fully reconditioned). Nautilus (NLS) elliptical machines run for $2K to $8K depending on the model. Okay, it's late so I'll stop rambling. Just wanted it to be known that I think it'd be neat to combine fun interactive technology with fitness and weight training.

No comments:

Quantcast