Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Weekend

So, I celebrated my birthday at Sushi Ran in Sausilito. Let me tell you how awesome the sushi was here. The fish was so incredibly fresh, and the selection was pretty good. The GF found this spot in the latest Zagat Survey. We've been having fairly good luck with the Zagat recommendations. The restaurant is my new top pick for sushi in the San Francisco Bay Area. We were in such a rush to make it to our reservation on time that we forgot to bring the camera, so there are no pictures of the food unfortunately.

For those that don't want to travel too far for sushi, I recommend Yuki Sushi in Santa Clara. And, by all means avoid any sushi place run by Chinese people in the South Bay. Each and every one that I have tried has been a horrible disappointment. I mean they can barely pass in the cooked Japanese food department, but when it comes to anything raw, they really should give it up. It's really a shame when people new to sushi eat at their establishments. I would not be surprised if many are turned off by the food forever.

On Saturday, we hit up Pizza Depot in Fremont. After stuffing ourselves with pizza, we headed to the man-made Lake Elizabeth in Fremont's Central Park. It's nice to walk around there if you are keenly aware of the goose and duck droppings that are sprinkled all over the area. Did you know that an adult goose can produce half a pound or more fecal matter each day? That's pretty gross.

Last night, we tried a brand new restaurant that opened up at the nearby Ulferts Center off Barber Lane called Thai Cafe. The food was average at best. The modern look of the restaurant was nice, and I felt their service was good. If only the food was less bland. Nothing really stood out.

Not sure what is in store for us today. I think I'm going to find a place using Jason and Terry's Bay Area Reviews. I've never used their guide, but I've heard it's pretty reliable. I think today's the day to give it a try. Maybe something quick so that we can get back and catch the rest of the Denver-Pittsburgh game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do Sushi Ran and Yuki Sushi compare to your idol, Hero? Hey Happy Birthday. You are 29 now, right?

Quantcast