Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hits from Get Rich Slowly and Quick Poker Update

So, I just got back not too long ago from a nice session at Garden City. Anyway, I was surprised to see that I had hundreds of hits on my blog. This is highly unusual... I probably average around 25 hits a day. This blog is kind of like a life journal for me. I never really expect anybody to read it, although I'm really glad that I do have some regular readers, and a few randoms that pop in every now and then.

The reason for the hits was a link on Get Rich Slowly to an older post I had written about compounding. GRS is a really popular blog (my RSS manager says that there are over 1400 subscribers). I personally like the site, as it's got advice that is helpful for a lot of different types of people, ranging from the financially challenged to the sophisticated financial whiz. Check it out if you've never seen it.

In any case, one guy did post a comment on GRS regarding the naiveté of the calculations I did in that piece, and ya, he's right about the oversimplification, but it doesn't take away from the fact that how compounding works isn't obvious to the layperson.

If any of you coming from GRS are reading this... Welcome! You should expect mostly just random life experiences, stock market investing talk, and poker-related gibberish. If that's not your cup of tea, then I guess here's my chance to say good-bye. Hehe.

On to the quick poker update...

I sat in the 8/16, which has a half-kill. For those not in the know, this basically means that if someone wins a pot twice in a row, the next hand becomes a half-kill hand, meaning that the stakes are raised to 12/24. If a full kill had been invoked, the stakes would be at 16/32.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ran good in the first hour or so, and won about $500. Flopping quads with 77 (J77 flop), and having 99 river his 9 definitely falls into this category. Not long after that hand, the table broke. I was reseated almost immediately, I managed to pick up another $300 or so. After that, I ran pretty badly. Mostly had a bunch of amazingly good draws that didn't come in, and a few rough rivers. So, I gave most of that back, and finished at a solid +$551.

No comments:

Quantcast