Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Left Foot Blues

Earlier this evening, I had a piece of gravel stuck in my right shoe, which irritated me horribly as I was driving on local roads. So, as I was driving, I shifted over to using my left foot to control the accelerator and the brakes while I took my shoe off to shake out the rock. Talk about difficult.

I'm not sure if anyone else has tried to drive using their left foot, but muscle memory and conditioning really play a large role in driving. At least for me, it does. I would accelerate too quickly and brake way too hard. My driving was so jerky, that an outsider might have confused me for someone who was just learning to drive stick.

Or maybe, I just don't have what it takes to drive with my left foot. Maybe it's easy, and I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you, dude. Just the other day, after driving for four hours, and stuck in bumper-to-bumper in Brooklyn, I decided I'd give stopping with my left foot a try. I drive a manual transmission car, so I figured it wouldn't be the hardest leap from the clutch. But you know what? I was terrible at it. Just damn terrible. It was like I had no analog control, only on/off. Pretty sad.

So I was talking to my bro about it, and he told me he tries to use his left hand as much as possible for really mundane things, like drinking water at the dinner table. Sounds like a good idea, if the water don't end up in your lap.

Anonymous said...

Christy Brown could do it, and he had Palsy.

Quantcast