Tonight, JC and I went over to Trials Pub in San Jose to give their Trivia Night a try. We had fun, and we did alright, especially given that we were only a two-person team; they allow up to three per team.
Every team was given 20 minutes to answer 20 questions. The winning team got 15 out of 20 correct, and our team, Team Un-Boll Weevil-ble, had a fine showing (probably top 20-25%) with 11 out of 20.
Here were the questions from tonight:
1) By what name is the pay-for-hire spy, Simon Templar, better known as? [we had no clue on this one]
2) In what country was St. Patrick's born? [we did not get this one either, though our guess wasn't too bad]
3) Where are British coins minted? [I had a correct educated guess]
4) Which famous actor married 18 year old Oona O'Neill and had eight children together up until his death in 1977? [we didn't know this one]
5) Who painted "The Three Dancers" in 1925? [I wrote down what I thought was correct, but JC came in with strong reasoning as to why I was wrong, and we had a correct educated guess -- I'd say 90% credit goes to JC]
6) What is the name of Tarzan's chimp companion? [I knew this one, surprisingly JC did not]
7) Which Edvard Munch painting was stolen in 1994 and stolen again in 2004? [we both knew this one]
8) What book starts with 'Call me Ishmael'? [we both knew this one]
9) What Shakespeare play has the line 'Frailty Thy Name Is Woman'? [JC came through on this one]
10) Which M*A*S*H character comes from Crabapple Cove, Maine? [we had no idea]
11) What was the name of the 3rd Austin Powers Movie? [we really should have gotten this one, but man we couldn't come up with it. Ugh.]
12) What popular breakfast food was brought to America by the Irish? [JC nailed it]
13) Yugoslav Wars from 1991 to 1995 began when Serbia invaded which two states? [we got one of the two, and argh, we really should have gotten the other one]
14) What is the profession of Mike Stone, the man who Priscilla Presley left Elvis for? [we had no idea]
15) The wars Britain fought in Southern Africa against the Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic were called what? [we did not know, but I think I really should have gotten this one]
16) Who was the creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip? [we both knew]
17) What drink consists of Tequila, Cointreau, and a strong squeeze of lemon/lime? [after a little debate, we got it correct -- I'd say 75% credit goes to JC]
18) What whiskey is made from potatoes? [we got this wrong]
19) What word starting with 'K' means destroyed in German? [JC to the rescue]
20) What Australian animal has fingerprints that are are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans? [I got this one right]
I think we'll do this again, but next time, I'm going to make sure we have a third team member. I'm sure we could have gotten a few more questions correct with a third person to help fill in the gaps.