Monday, June 15, 2009

Spago

This past weekend was pretty busy for me. Headed down to SoCal to attend a wedding and also to enjoy a fancy dinner with the family to celebrate my dad's retirement. We were originally going to check out Mastro's steakhouse, but my sister and her husband had just gone there recently. So, we decided on Spago, which none of us had ever been despite it being a classic LA institution of fine dining.

The meal was very good. But, I'm not sure if it was on par with other two-star Michelins that I've had the privilege of trying in the past. Definitely a one-star, but it's really hard to say for sure since I'm really not that much of a foodie despite having lots of food pictures.

I liked my dishes (Tagliatelle as a first course and Salmon as the main course) a lot, and I did get to try bits of most others' dishes. JC's duck was excellent. Those that tried it felt it was probably the best prepared duck ever. My dad ordered, after some familial pressure, the Kobe (100% Wagyu) New York steak and he loved it. My sister and her husband shared the Côte de Boeuf for Two, and it too was very good. Though, they both claimed to have had better at other places. Also, JC and I felt the desserts at Le Cirque (in Las Vegas) were much better.

All in all, everyone was very happy with the meal. It was a nice dinner complemented with good conversation. Anyway, I'm a bit too lazy to write more since I did just spend a lot of time getting the photos ready. So, without further ado, I present the pictures of food.

Starting off with the First Courses...

Tagliatelle with Porcini Mushrooms

Endive and Vegetable Salad

Gnocchi with a Meat Sauce
(not sure exactly, but it sure was good)

Crab Cake

Hamachi and Tuna Sashimi

Risotto with Asparagus and Crab

And now, the Main Courses...

Pan-Roasted Liberty Duck

Red Snapper - Hong Kong Style

Alaskan White Salmon

Kobe Beef - 100% Wagyu New York Steak

Côte de Bœuf (half)

Alaskan Halibut

Finally, the desserts...

Souffle Pancake with Crème Fraîche

Raspberry Souffle

I guess that's all. The meal was expensive, and depending on how you look at it, perhaps it was a bit overpriced. Some felt that more should have been expected, but to be fair, the portions were generous and nothing was 'off.' Plus, there's the added cost due to 'brand recognition' that can't be helped.

No comments:

Quantcast