Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Introduction to the iPhone

I'm sure most if not all of you heard about the big splash that Apple, Inc. (AAPL) made today regarding their new product, the iPhone. Well, I found some time tonight to watch the keynote address that Steve Jobs delivered today at the MacWorld Expo. And, I must say that I can see why everyone got so excited about this new mobile device offering.

Anyway, if you haven't watched the keynote address, you should. It is definitely worth watching. Find it here (if you want to save half an hour, you can just watch the iPhone Introduction, which runs about an hour and a half).

All I've got to say is that, that's one hell of a phone. If the real thing works as well as it did during his presentation, then it's really going to be hot, hot, hot. Just watch the keynote address. Really, just do it.

The company is targeting 1% market share by end of 2008, which translates to 10MM phones. The new phone works exclusively with Cingular Wireless. The reason for this has to do with the need for new network-level innovation... the first of these innovations is random-access voice mail. That's just super cool. Oh, and the phone also provides the user with Google-based search and Google Maps along with Yahoo-based searching, as well as Yahoo IMAP mail service.

So, just about right now I'm kicking myself for dumping my shares not long ago at just about the peak level of nervousness concerning the company's stock option irregularities. If there's any significant pullback in the company's stock, I will probably buy it back. Shares of the competition fell today with Research In Motion (RIMM) leading the way falling a whopping 8%.

Before I end this, note that I didn't say Apple Computer, Inc. The company changed its name to simply Apple, Inc. to better reflect their more diverse product line.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Came here from Rowr's LJ!

After reading about the iPhone (pending litigation with Cisco of course) I didn't think there was a whole lot that could be improved on. Having briefly worked in cell phone sales, a lot of touted features were usually gimmicks. I finally found a video floating around on YouTube of the iPhone in action, and it's fairly safe to say that its terrifying price tag won't stop it from selling like $0.12/g gasoline. My only concerns are durability (ever seen an iPod that wasn't scratched?), battery life and battery replacement (iPhone gen2 will likely be out by the time the battery dies).

Quantcast