Monday, April 25, 2005

The Cable Guy

It's about 11:15PM. I got home not too long ago. I should have been home a good two hours earlier. Now, why would that be? Sometimes when a 1/2 hour job evolves into a 2 1/2 hour job, strange and weird time shifts occur. So, I end up at work around 2:15PM.

So, the cable guy shows up around 11:15 this morning. So far so good, he made it in the scheduled window of 8-Noon. Then, he spends about 15 minutes doing some cable stuff outside. Great... I'll be off to work soon. Next comes the nightmare. An hour into the "internet" installation portion of his visit, he simply gives up. He cannot hook my computer up to the net.

I'm noticeably frustrated by this turn of events. So, the guy calls his tech lead for some (moral) support.

"Can you use IPConfig to see if you can get an IP Address?"
"Can you spell that?"
"I-P-C-O-N-F-I-G" -- too bad the F sounds like an S over a static-ridden line.

So, IPConsig it is... WHOA. Nothing. Must be the cable modem. Must be a problem over on the cable company's end. No wait, it's because you're using Firefox. I am trained with Internet Explorer. Another 10 minutes of this nonsense, I decide to step in. Fifteen minutes later, I see what was wrong. The hardcoded DNS addresses from my old ISP were still there. Upon removal, everything worked just fine.

What a waste of my time.

Some have asked me why I'm blogging on Bloglines instead of the more popular blogging sites. Well, I have a special place in my heart (and pocketbook) for Ask Jeeves. Since I'm a totally new to this blogging craze, and since ASKJ bought Bloglines, I figured I'd make my mark on here.

Still in the middle of clearing that PokerRoom bonus. And, yes, the interface still sucks.

That's all for now.

Posted on: Mon, Apr 25 2005 11:02 PM

No comments:

Quantcast